[Yaffs] Any way to *suppress* metadata updates?

Author: James Kehl
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] Any way to *suppress* metadata updates?

Speaking of avoiding unnecessary writes, is there any way to *suppress*
metadata updates?

I'm working on an embedded app that, every so often, opens a log file,
appends data to it, and closes it. Most of these updates will be very
small: 32 bytes or so.

The file mtime isn't important (and I'd be logging the time inside the
file, if it were) - in fact, my yaffsfs_CurrentTime implementation
returns a constant. The file size should be calculable from the
byteCount tags on each data page (I have no holes and the file isn't
shrinking).

Despite all this, yaffs_FlushFile will rewrite the object header, every
time; it might be small bikkies to everyone else, but I'd like to be
able to elide this extra write.

This looks like it would be easy to do for Yaffs1. Can anyone give me
pointers on Yaffs2?