Re: [Yaffs] MLC support

Author: James Kehl
To: Eddie Dawydiuk, yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] MLC support

support
> for
> MLC, will there be other changes required?

I believe the primary change in Yaffs2 is the avoidance of page
reprogramming: Yaffs1 needed to clear the 'valid' bit in existing pages
in order to delete them. Yaffs2 uses a sequence number and an extra
scan, so each page is programmed once and exactly once (until a block
erase). MLC likes this better.

I'm pretty sure Yaffs2 does not add Reed-Solomon ECC support *directly*
- on my particular platform, performing RS in software would chew too
much CPU, and there's a hardware accelerator instead - but the Yaffs2
tag structure and larger logical page size makes it actually *possible*
to use RS ECC when it's implemented by the MTD/NAND driver.