Re: [Balloon] What happened to setup? --> not booting with i…

Author: Wookey
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] What happened to setup? --> not booting with initrd
+++ Charles Manning [2010-05-20 13:52 +1200]:
> On Thursday 20 May 2010 13:39:31 Wookey wrote:
>

> > Actually - maybe your zImageInitrd doesn't actually _have_ an
> > initrd in it so it is falling back to the yaffs root? It should be
> > about 3.2 in size? (with zImage being 1.6MB)
>
> Yup, you're right.
>
> Both are almost exactly the same size:
> 1569560 zImage
> 1569556 zImageInitrd
>
> Looks like the gluing didn't work.
>
> With no initial fs it falls through to yaffs.
>
> If I delete zImageInitrd and redo make dist there are various errors but the
> build keeps going until falling over because the cpld image is missing. IIRC
> you said that's far enough to do TheRightThing (TM). Log attached with file
> info at the bottom.

aha. I know what it is: for 2.6.31 or later you need to uncomment from
extra INITRAMFS options in Makefile.inc (or add them to Makefile.local):

in Makefile.inc it says:
# uncomment line below for 2.6.31 and later initramfs builds
#INITRAMFSOPTS:=CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE=usr/initramfs.cpio CONFIG_INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_BZIP2=y

(I've just reproduced your problem with 2.6.34, and it suddenly
struck me that this was the prob.) Sorry I didn't twig that faster -
it's because I've been resolutely staying in 2.6.29.1-land to make a
reliable release with that code vintage.

So put in those settings and you should be OK.

Very soon now we will deprecate 2.6.31 and start using 2.6.34.
Currently it works OK apart from sleep/resume.

Principal hats: iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/