Re: [Balloon] 2.6.36-rc1

Author: Nick Bane
To: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] 2.6.36-rc1
> Gentlepeople
>
> On Monday 23 August 2010 12:41:51 Wookey wrote:
>> +++ Nick Bane [2010-08-23 01:30 +0100]:
>>> FYI
>>>
>>> First cut of kernel 2.6.36-rc1 under menuconfig branch seems to make a
>>> zImageBoot, a zImageInitrd and modules.tgz with new yaffs2 that is at
>>> first glance ok for a CUED build - there is a penguin and logon screen on
>>> a toppoly display anyway.
>>
>> Well done that man. I'll give it a go here this week.
>
> Well that seemed quick. I hope there was not too much pain behind this.

Only in places. Much unchanged 2.6.34.

> Are there instructions somewhere for this menuconfig method?

README just added. Its a bit rambly but gives clues.
The initrd kernel chain-booting option is rather nice. It means that the
evil of an incompatible yaffs (oob/mtd) in bootldr could be dropped.
In effect it makes the initrd kernel into a full featured bootloader.

>>> There is also a u-boot option in the meny but
>>> to be useful you need a 70MB git clone that I wasn't willing to check
>>> into balloonboard.
>>
>> Well done. Wookey smiles upon you :-)
>>
>> We'd better do something like the YAFFS suck-by-date trick I guess. Or
>> grab a tarball if such quaint things still exist.
>
> The suck by date using git archive should be good.

Implemented - thanks for the runes.

> You will need to use a very recent yaffs as the 2.6.36 support only got added
> a few days ago and was only taken as far as compiling as I have not been able
> to test it.

Seems to work fine on a CUED board.