Re: [Yaffs] Question about metadata for delete and update

Author: Ketil Froyn
To: HuangAlex
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Question about metadata for delete and update
Right. As far as I remember, if a file is deleted, a new header chunk
is written with parent folder being the unlinked folder (I think
folder with object id 3 or something, check source and docs to
verify). If a header or data chunk is updated, it is just rewritten
somewhere else.

Since yaffs2 is a log structured filesystem, you always know the order
each chunk was written. Blocks are allocated one by one in an orderly
fashion, and each OOB has the block id written, and the block id
increments for each allocated bock. Within a block, the chunks are
written sequentially. So looking at block id and location within a
block, you can always know which chunk was written last.

So if you find the same chunk of the same file (aka object) many
places, it's always the one that was written last that is valid.

Cheers, Ketil