Re: [Yaffs] mkyaffs2image desn't work with Linux 2.6.23

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] mkyaffs2image desn't work with Linux 2.6.23
On Friday 03 June 2011 22:00:59 Allen Su wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I download the latest Yaffs2(can't find the version) and build the Yaffs2
> with Linux.
> However, I encounter a problem with Yaffs2 rootfs.
> If I build rootfs image using mkyaffs2image(v1.5) and write the
> rootfs.yaffs2 image into Nand flash. After reboot, the Linux can't bootup,
> it can't find 'init' file.
> It seems Linux can't read the data format generated by mkyaffs2image.
>
> If I used another way: mount a empty partition and copy all rootfs files
> into the empty Yaffs2 file system, and reboot. The Linux works well.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to let the mkyaffs2image works with Linux 2.6.23?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,

I am the first to admit that mkyaffs2image is a bit of a mess and not as
useful as would be nice.

The main problem is that mkyaffs2image does not know the flash layout, in
particular the layout of the oob bytes vary from device to device.

As a result, when you create an imahge this might or might not work with your
particular flash driver.

What you need to do is hack mkyaffs2image to generate the oob layout that your
flash uses.

-- Charles