[Yaffs-archive] Re: [YAFFS] About the bootloader

Author: Charles Manning
To: Edward J. Lee, Nick Bane, yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs-archive] Re: [YAFFS] About the bootloader
Edward

Please try to use plain text email rather than HTML - it makes life easier
and more consistent across the various mailers people use. Please also prefix
the subject with [YAFFS].

> Managed to get the up-to-date mtd cvs source codes and the
> yaffs stuff, and can mount my NAND device by /dev/mtdblockx.
> I can also boot by storing raw boot data in the chip, but this won't do.
>
> The problem is? The problem is, as long as the boot data might be damaged,
> I think I'll have to get YAFFS managing the boot image. So I guess storing
> raw data on the chip would not be appropriate. :D

If you look in the yaffs/direct directory you will find a bootloader example
(source and doc) that will give you a boot data stream off a file in a yaffs
device (built with mkyaffs image or written to NAND by YAFFS). This
bootloader can be executed off NOR to place the image in RAM.

Otherwise, just follow Nick's guidelines. If you have a large NAND array,
then you might want to consider partitioning the NAND as two devices, putting
the boot code on one and the rest of the fs on the other. This speeds up scan
time (and hence boot time).

Hope that helps.

-- CHarles