Re: [Balloon] Re: Fwd: How do I test the USB ports?

Author: Chris Jones
To: Wookey
CC: 'Balloon'
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Re: Fwd: How do I test the USB ports?
Wookey wrote:
> One thing I did notice looking into this is that the only reason the slave
> connector needs 5V to work is the pullup on one of the data-lines. Does
> this need to be 5V because that's the USB spec? It just seems that on a 3V
> only board you could still use the USB slave stuff if 3V signalling on this
> data line would actually work, which might be handy. I imagine this is in
> the 'might work but would be out of spec' area?
>
> If this could work, then the option to link this pullup to 3V instead of 5V
> with a link might be worth including?

This does indeed come under the "might work but out of spec" area. TCL
use it all the time for programming boards, just by hooking the 3.3V and
5V lines together. YMMV - it will probably fail if the cables are too
long, or during earthquakes, or if the phase of the moon is wrong.

Chris
--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights