Re: [Balloon] another kernel panic

Author: Chris Jones
To: Glen VanMilligan
CC: Balloon, Wookey
Subject: Re: [Balloon] another kernel panic
Glen VanMilligan wrote:
> Thanks for all your support. I need help again with the root file system.
> Last friday I had the 2.4.25 zdImage downloaded and working. I was loading
> some kernel modules when I thought that maybe I should be working with a
> clean root file system. So I did the "load root" command at the boot loader,
> reset the machine and found that I now get a kernel panic again. Since then,
> this morning I have tried again with no results. What did I miss? do I need
> to reload the kernel once I install the root? or are there other parameter I
> should have set?

I have found that loading a yaffs image into NAND really needs a clean
partition to start with, otherwise the filesystem gets hopelessly
confused: symptoms have ranged from files which won't delete, all the
way up to kernel panics. To fix this do:

nand erasechip
yaffs reset
load boot
load root

(note that nand erasechip erases both boot and root partitions, so
that's why you have to reload the kernel too)

Chris

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights