Re: [Balloon] Re: Adding 5V uspply to 3.3V board

Author: Paul Fidler
To: Balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Re: Adding 5V uspply to 3.3V board
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Steve Wiseman wrote:

> Note that _all_ the 3V power will go through that poor little regulator,
> which has a relatively strictly enforced 500mA current limit. If you're
> planning to feed CF cards, you'll need to organise some extra power round
> the side (balancing another regulator on top of U22, and feeding its
> output pin onto the CF power should do the trick)

Can I take it that I shouldn't really expect any CompactFlash cards to
work at all without such a mod? That would explain a lot...

As an interrim measure, can I take 3.3V from a big regulated PSU I've got
sitting on the desk and shove it straight onto the appropriate pin of
the CF socket without breaking anything on the Balloon - just to see if my
CF cards start working?

Best wishes,

Paul.

Paul Fidler
--
Cambridge University Engineering Department | Tel: +44 1223 332816
Trumpington Street, Cambridge, CB2 1PZ, UK | Fax: +44 1223 332662