RE: [Yaffs] "Formatting the flash"

Author: Charles Manning
To: Abhishek Bhattacharya, yaffs
Subject: RE: [Yaffs] "Formatting the flash"
This is not a yaffs issue, but a general Linux one. You can't unmount a
file system when it is busy (eg. Open files or busy directory).

The other questions here are:
1) Why do you ever need to unmount a yaffs file system? The only time I
can see you'd want to do this is if it is removable media or to
reformat.
2) Why do you need to reformat? You should not need to reformat yaffs
devices. If you just rm -rf the mount point you should get a completely
purged file system. The main reason you need to reformat a FAT file
system is because the FAT formatting gets screwed up. YAFFS does not
have FAT tables etc to get screwed up.

If this is really intended as a way to completely erase the flash then
you either need to find a way of un-busying the file system to unmount
it or you could perhaps do something "Windows-like" and do a reboot and
erase the flash before mounting it.

-- Charles