Re: [Balloon] Re: L3 Jflash/Bootloader

Author: Chris Jones
To: Wookey
CC: nick, Balloon, david
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Re: L3 Jflash/Bootloader
Wookey wrote:
> On the bootloader front, blob is nice but largely defunct, although
> obviously not entirely if someone updated it for Mainstone. Bootldr is also
> more or less unmaintained and a vile bit of code I'd like to leave behind
> (although it does have a lot of handy stuff and we are familiar with it).
>
> Colin and I have started a review of bootloaders. Currently favoured
> candidates are APEX, u-boot and redboot. The APEX developer is particularly
> helpful and we are looking at getting it going on Balloon2. We could have a
> go on balloon3 instead, but something already known to run on pxa270 (like
> the mainstone blob variant or redboot) might be quickest. I have messed with
> blob before so could have a go at that.

More on the boot loader debate from Nick via me (he's not getting
balloon list email at the moment):
- we know bootldr is horrid in various ways and is missing a TCP/IP
stack and USB support (both of which would be nice to have) *but* there
is significant investment in automated mass-programming widgetry at Toby
Churchill which relies on it, so changing to a different boot loader
would require a lot of work for them.
- bootldr already has NAND and YAFFS support. Sorting these out in
another boot loader would be a non-trivial task, probably.
- Nick has bootldr basically ready to go for the PXA270, modulo a bunch
of #defines, so the process of getting it to run might be a morning's
work instead of <more than that>. Given the number of other things
clamouring for his attention, this is a Good Thing if he's got to do it.

Chris
--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights