Re: [Yaffs] Yaffs direct

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Yaffs direct
On Thursday 13 April 2006 20:52, Ian Oliver wrote:
> I'm currently looking at this nand flash driver.
>
> http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/FlashSW/xsr.htm

From a quick read, this software would appear toprovide a block driver that
then needs a further file system to provide files etc. It would seem that the
major target for this software is PocketPC/WinCE for use with the TFAT file
system

You can find out more at http://www.aleph1.co.uk/node/35

> And if we write files with yaffs direct, can we then just read these
> using Linux yaffs?

Yes, this can be made to work. The Balloon bootlaoder, for instance, runs
yaffs Direct and can read/write ths same files as Baloon uses when running
Linux.

The YAFFS code for Linux and direct is mostly the same. All the "guts" is
shared and only the interfacing code is different: the Linux version hooks
onto the Linux VFS and the direct version supplies file system calls.

-- Charles