[Balloon] Re: Since we're having a meeting - Balloon Lite?

Author: Wookey
To: Balloon
Subject: [Balloon] Re: Since we're having a meeting - Balloon Lite?
On 2006-10-02 19:40 +0100, Steve Wiseman wrote:
> I feel the need to make a Balloon-Lite, for some random projects, where
> the brute force of Balloon3 just isn't called for.
> CPU = Cirrus EP9301
> http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1053.html
> (166MHz Arm9, Ethernet, USB host, 16-bit SDRAM, no LCD or camera stuff)
> IO = pair of (or single) Parallax Propeller
> http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=p8x32a-q44
> (slightly bonkers 8-core microcontroller, able to deliver I2C, SPI,
> Serial, servos, blah, all from software - all the micros have access to
> all the io pins :)
> AC97 audio in & out.
> Architecture will favour cheapness over most features, but will still fit
> as many B3 connectors as possible, as well as the form factor. Power
> consumption will be less of a driver. PCB should be 4-layer, cheap rules.
> No chips to be BGA. Probably no FPGA / CPLD.
>
> Anyone care, or should I just get on with it?

I have certainly thought that having a similarly open lower-power
device would be a good thing (TM). We are involved in a project right
now where balloon3 is probably overkill and something like this would
probably suffice.

Perhaps the only problem is finding sufficient software-fettling
resource to support it. We have observed that without someone with
some money to spend to actually make things happen, then progress can
be very slow. The kernel suport for this chip is already good, which
helps (it's been around a while already - how much longer will it
remain available?)

But yes - go for it.

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/