Re: [Balloon] Since we're having a meeting - Balloon Lite?

Author: Chris Jones
To: Steve Wiseman
CC: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Since we're having a meeting - Balloon Lite?
Steve Wiseman wrote:
> I feel the need to make a Balloon-Lite, for some random projects, where
> the brute force of Balloon3 just isn't called for.
> CPU = Cirrus EP9301
> http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1053.html
> (166MHz Arm9, Ethernet, USB host, 16-bit SDRAM, no LCD or camera stuff)
> IO = pair of (or single) Parallax Propeller
> http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=p8x32a-q44
> (slightly bonkers 8-core microcontroller, able to deliver I2C, SPI,
> Serial, servos, blah, all from software - all the micros have access to
> all the io pins :)
> AC97 audio in & out.
> Architecture will favour cheapness over most features, but will still fit
> as many B3 connectors as possible, as well as the form factor. Power
> consumption will be less of a driver. PCB should be 4-layer, cheap rules.
> No chips to be BGA. Probably no FPGA / CPLD.
>
> Anyone care, or should I just get on with it?

Blimey, that Propeller thing is mad, isn't it? What fun.

I know Peter at CUED has talked about an ARM9-based 'Balloon lite' in
the past and there may be some special educational relationships with
vendors (can't remember who, at the moment) which could be taken
advantage of.

Chris

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights