[Balloon] JTAG hassles

Author: Wookey
To: Balloon
Subject: [Balloon] JTAG hassles
OK. I have 'stuff not working' with JTAG here and I need some clues
from people who understand the hardware to know what's wrong.

I have 3 machines here, 'court', 'laptop' and 'xios'.

I also have 3 different JTAG dongles: 'lart', 'steves' and 'Xilinx'

steves and Xilinx are superficilly very similar. Xilinx is one of
the 'xilinx-type' described here: http://balloonboard.org/balloonwiki/BalloonJTAGing
steves has surface mount LEDs LVX125s instead of LVC125s

xios is the dev machine which should be doing balloon programming but
I cannot make it work for CPLD programming, despite an entire day's
dicking about. laptop does work (once I noticed that its default
parallel port is 0x3bc, not 0x378).

Currently, for balloon2, one can program CPLD JTAG chain with new-style
dongles using playsxvf and the CPU JTAG chain with the lart dongle and
jflash. (in principle one could also use bflash in jflash mode but on
balloon2 it doesn't work).

In xios I have both the built-in parallel port and an extra PCI-card
port, (appears at 0xA000). Neither work with the 'steves' dongle, but
both work with the lart dongle.

I can't test the 'Xilinx' dongle because that doesn't work at all
anywhere.

To clarify the above 'not workings':
On balloon2 with xilinx dongle on CPLD chain
sudo playxsvf -v 2 -p 0x3bc balloonCPLDv11.xsvf
XSVF Player v5.01, Xilinx, Inc.
Verbose level = 1
Port = 0x3bc
XSVF file = balloonCPLDv11.xsvf
  XREPEAT
  XENDIR
  XENDDR
  XSTATE
  XSTATE
  XSIR
  XSIR
  XSDRSIZE
  XTDOMASK
  XRUNTEST
  XSDRTDO
 TDO Expected = 0xf488ffff
 TDO Captured = 0x00000000
 TDO Mask     = 0x0fff8001
ERROR:  TDO mismatch
ERROR at or near XSVF command #11.  See line #11 in the XSVF ASCII file

If I change to steve's dongle it carries on with:
XSIR
XSIR
XSIR
XENDIR
and programs the CPLD fine. (on 'laptop').

Using bflash (on laptop, on either CPU or CPLD chain, with 'steve'
dongle, or 'xilinx' dongle):
sudo bflash Balloon2 -d
jtagSetDeviceAttributes
Testing port address 3bc ... found.
Setting LPT port to 0x3bc
id = 0x0
Part found    = 0x0
Expected Part = 0x9261013
Failed to identify device.

Should that work?

Running it in jflash mode:
sudo jflashmm balloon2 bootldr.small P 0x3bc
Base Address set to 956
jtagSetDeviceAttributes
Testing port address 3bc ... found.
Setting LPT port to 0x3bc
id = 0x0
Part found    = 0x0
Expected Part = 0x9261013
Failed to identify device.

So, fundamentally I have two significant problems:

1) the lart dongle works on xios for bootldr, but neither of the CPLD
ones do, on either of the parallel ports, so I can't bringup a board
on that box - I have to get my laptop out. Any clues as to why this
might be would be appreciated.

2) Only the steve dongle is working for me for CPLD programming. The
new xilinx ones which should work don't. I'm not sure which bit of the
system is wrong.

3) I can't seem to use the new bflash jtag code on balloon2 at all,
either in bflash or jflash mode. It is working for anyone else?

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/