[Balloon] CF Issues

Author: Peter Clifton
To: Balloon
Subject: [Balloon] CF Issues
Hi,

Not representing CUED officially, but as an interested party, I note
that some of the boards at CUED don't like working with their CF
wireless cards.

If given "serious" traffic, they seem to dissociate from their AP, and
generally stop working until the board is rebooted. Very light traffic
doesn't seem to upset them (Although I think one won't work at all).

My instinct - and the absence of lots of capacitors around the CF
socket, is that perhaps the voltage supplies to the CF socket aren't
able to support the large transient currents which could potentially be
pulled by a wireless card (although I expect there are caps inside the
WiFi card).

Another issue, one of the boards has a solder blob between two
components near the rework on the FPGA PSU controller. Another board has
a component slewed to touch the one next to it in the same place as the
solder-blob. Looking under a magnifier didn't quite convince me that
they aren't connected to the same trace anyway, but getting schematics
and at least top + bottom layer layouts for the various balloon builds
would be of great assistance in determining if these soldering defects
are a problem or not.

Regards

Peter Clifton