Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS on Linux without MTD

Author: Vitaly Wool
To: Allen Curtis
CC: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS on Linux without MTD
Hello Allen,

On 11/26/06, Allen Curtis <> wrote:
> Is it possible to use YAFFS in Linux without MTD support? I have been
> reading the mailing lists and it appears that there are some
> performance issues as a result of depending on the general MTD block
> driver. Is this true? Is it reasonable to consider using the YAFFS file
> system under Linux without MTD? Would this also address the Samsung
> NAND chip support?

I think it's possible to run yaffs-direct under Linux, but a) not from
scratch, so you'll need to do additional mods and b) i'm not sure it's
legal from a licensing POV.
The performance drop is only a problem for 512b page NAND flashes, so
if you've got a 2k page Samsung NAND flash, you shouldn't probably
bother.

The last thing I'd like to say is that you're free to customize the
yaffs support/nand chip driver for your own chip to get rid of the
shim layer translating smartmedia layout into generic, and that will
speedup things.

Hope that helps

Vitaly