Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS on Linux without MTD

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS on Linux without MTD
On Sunday 26 November 2006 11:41, Allen Curtis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use YAFFS in Linux without MTD support?

Yes, with yaffs direct.

I don't think that is what you really want to do though.

> I have been
> reading the mailing lists and it appears that there are some
> performance issues as a result of depending on the general MTD block
> driver. Is this true? Is it reasonable to consider using the YAFFS file
> system under Linux without MTD? Would this also address the Samsung
> NAND chip support?

The performance issues are more to do with the generic nand driver in the mtd
and the translation code that Vitaly talks of.

However, you can replace the generic nand driver with a custom one, while
keeping the rest of the mtdsub-system intact. THis would give you both
better performance as well as keeping the same mtd interfaces & subsystem.

Unless you're using mtdpart or mtdconcat, the mtd adds no overheads to your
driver. That is, the drivers read/write etc functions are hooked directly
into yaffs.