[Yaffs] Re: YAFFS on Linux without MTD

Author: Wookey
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] Re: YAFFS on Linux without MTD
On 2006-11-26 12:36 +0300, Vitaly Wool wrote:
> Hello Allen,
>
> On 11/26/06, Allen Curtis <> wrote:
> >Is it possible to use YAFFS in Linux without MTD support? I have been
> >reading the mailing lists and it appears that there are some
> >performance issues as a result of depending on the general MTD block
> >driver. Is this true? Is it reasonable to consider using the YAFFS file
> >system under Linux without MTD? Would this also address the Samsung
> >NAND chip support?
>
> I think it's possible to run yaffs-direct under Linux, but a) not from
> scratch, so you'll need to do additional mods

This is true. See: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/node/115
You can miss out either the VFS layer or MTD. Normally you have both
or neither, but I don't think it would be too hard to bypass just MTD.

> and b) i'm not sure it's legal from a licensing POV.

There is no problem there, so long as your nand driver is GPL too.

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/