RE: [Balloon] Balloon Open Hardware Licence

Author: David Bisset
To: 'Paul Fidler', balloon
Subject: RE: [Balloon] Balloon Open Hardware Licence

>The only other thing I can think of at the moment relates to the Design
>Marks. Would the mark need to be registered as a Certification/Collective
>Mark http://www.patent.gov.uk/tmmanual-chap4-certcoll.pdf and if so who
>would own it?

My intention was for Balloonz to trademark it and therefore own it,
currently copyright on the BOHL text is with iTechnic Ltd (i.e. me). It
probably makes sense for the two to have the same ownership. Thoughts
anyone?

I would like the BOHL to have a much wider use than just Balloonz products.

>I suspect it may be unnecessary (why would somebody use the mark unless

they
>were licensing the design under the BOHL...) but I thought I'd mention it

as
>a potential topic. Would we care if somebody put the mark on a tee-shirt

for
>example? (Think Debian and the problems they've had with their logo...)

It would provide a means of stopping someone using the logo without applying
the BOHL to the product, trade marking it means we can make the logo "go
with" the license. (as well as make and sell BOHL tee-shirts.....)

>Paul Fidler

David