Re: [Yaffs] Large Flash Support

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Large Flash Support
On Thursday 08 March 2007 05:35, Johnson, Charles F wrote:
> I'm new to the game regarding flash file systems. So no, I'm not that
> familiar with the consequences.
> I'm trying to learn enough to keep the hardware designers honest.

Which hardware designers? Board or chip level?
NOR or NAND?

Anyone designing new NAND parts should probably discuss ideas through ONFI
(Intel is a member).

If you're designing a board with existing NAND parts:
1) Take care with the WP control. Don't use the power supply regulation flags
to yank WP.
2) Provide some "power good" flag that can be read by the drivers to ensure
that there is going to be sufficient residual power to complete a
write/erase.
3) Software Hamming ECC is slowish, but very simple to implement in hardware
with a few gates. As processes change, NAND reliability might reduce further
which might need Reed Solomon ECC which is more expensive.

There are a bunch more considerations, but those depend very much on
application and usage models.

-- CHarles