Re: [Balloon] Balloon 3 VGA kernel patch

Author: Chris Jones
To: Balloon, wookey
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Balloon 3 VGA kernel patch
Wookey wrote:
>> +// note here that only certain values of pixclock make sense, because the pixel clock
>> +// is derived by dividing LCLK (104MHz) by an integer even though it's specified down
>> +// to the picosecond.
>> +// The divisor integer must be even if LCCR4_PCCDIV is not set, but can be odd if
>> +// LCCR4_PCDDIV is set.
>> +// Divisor    pixclock     Pixel clock frequency
>> +//   6          57600         17.333MHz
>> +//   5          48000         20.8MHz *requires LCCR4_PCDDIV set*
>> +//   4          38400         26MHz
>> +//   3          28800         34.667MHz *requires LCCR4_PCDDIV set*
>> +//   2          19200         52MHz *generally too high to be useful, leaves no DMA bandwidth for anything else *
>> +
>>  #ifdef CONFIG_BALLOON3_TOPPOLY
>> -static struct pxafb_mode_info toppoly_mode __initdata = {
>> +static struct pxafb_mode_info balloon3_lcd_mode __initdata = {
>>      .pixclock        = 38000,

> It just said above that this should be 38400 - so is 38000 right or
> shouold be fixed? I assume the latter.

I'd leave it as it is: 38000 was arrived at a long time ago before I
fully understood the behaviour of pixclock. Which pixel clock you end up
with near the boundary values is something I can't remember, so I'd
leave it as 38000 for now.

> I had to re-do the definition in the relevant struct in pxafb.h for
> some reason.

Why's that? I had to shoehorn lccr4 into at least 2 structs and go round
the code looking for places that they got copied into each other to make
sure the value never got dropped.

> I have no idea which bits should/shouldn't be set in general pxa
> terms. I've put:
>         /* The following should be defined in LCCR4
>          *     LCCR4_PCDDIV (if odd pixclock divisor required)

> seem reasonable?

Yes, that seems reasonable in the context of the way the kernel works
out pixclock divisors.

Chris

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd, makers of Solidlights