[Yaffs] Booting speed up

Author: Zavi
To: yaffs
Subject: [Yaffs] Booting speed up
I saw a reference to boot time speed up using checkpointing.
http://www.aleph1.co.uk/lurker/message/20060517.095816.8b3729ee.en.html

I tried to repeat the 1st scenario described, using the yaffs direct
emulator on a 256MB 2k page emulated device -
40,000 page size files created
unmounted safely, then immediately mounted again.

>From what I gather booting time should have been minimal. However the

number of device page reads on mounting was ~80K which implies that
checkpointing had very little effect on the booting time.
The above message isn't recent, but I assume that since then timing
shouldn't have gone worse.

I used the following device configuration -
flashDev.nDataBytesPerChunk = 2048;
flashDev.nChunksPerBlock = 64;
flashDev.nReservedBlocks = 5;
flashDev.nCheckpointReservedBlocks = 5;
flashDev.startBlock = 0;
flashDev.endBlock = 2048;
flashDev.isYaffs2 = 1;
flashDev.wideTnodesDisabled=0;
flashDev.nShortOpCaches = 10; // Use caches
flashDev.genericDevice = (void *) 2;    // Used to identify the device in fstat.
flashDev.writeChunkWithTagsToNAND = yflash_WriteChunkWithTagsToNAND;
flashDev.readChunkWithTagsFromNAND = yflash_ReadChunkWithTagsFromNAND;
flashDev.eraseBlockInNAND = yflash_EraseBlockInNAND;
flashDev.initialiseNAND = yflash_InitialiseNAND;
flashDev.markNANDBlockBad = yflash_MarkNANDBlockBad;
flashDev.queryNANDBlock = yflash_QueryNANDBlock;

What else needs to be done in order to truely benefit from the
checkpoint advantage?

Thank you