Re: [Balloon] What happened to setup?

Author: Wookey
To: balloon
New-Topics: Re: [Balloon] What happened to setup? --> not booting with initrd
Subject: Re: [Balloon] What happened to setup?
+++ Charles Manning [2010-05-19 09:21 +1200]:
> Building happens...

Hooray! :-)

> But I now have problems trying to load the fs off the USB stick because there
> is no setup.
> setup
>
> ooops not there

Hmm, we've not seen that here.

Which svn vintage are you using?

r1062 built and tested nicely for me here for both base build (which
you've been testing, and -tcl-sl40 variant)

But then we immediately started fixing things so 1064 and 1065 fix
missing modules and tools for PCMCIA on the base build. 1065 should
build nicely too but I'm not sure I checked. 1067 should build a -CUED
variant properly. Then nick added support for a (much!) newer
buildroot and kernel (2.6.34 instead of 2.6.29) in r1069-1071. The
defaults are the same so nothing should change, but again I'm not
certain nothing broke.

After that I starrted hacking to add 4kpage nand to 2.6.29.1 and
currently that's bust (remove the 4kpage-nand.patch from the series
file before building).

So I'd suggest building r1062, r1065 or (for latest kernel which no
doubt interests you) r1071. 2.6.34-rc7 worked fine here yesterday with
new buildroot on new 8Gbit/4kpage nand but we haven't tested the whole
shebang with fresh build on new card yet.

I'll back out the 4knand patch from the base build in HEAD because
currently it's only available/an issue on the single-sided tcl
variant. That should leave HEAD both working and current (for a base
(VARIANTless) build. OK. done in r1080.

None of this explains why your setup might have got lost. No-one messed
with that. It comes from the initrd/configurator.patch which puts a
file into
buildroot/target/generic/target_skeleton_balloon3_installer/usr/bin/setup
is that file there?

It's easy to do what it does by hand - it's all very low-tech:
#prerequesites
modprobe ohci-hcd usb-storage vfat ext2
mkdir -p /mnt/root /mnt/boot /mnt/sda1
mount /mnt/root
mount /mnt/sda1

#to unpack, chroot into, configure and tar up result (save for future use)
cd /mnt/sda1
rm -rf emdebroot
mkdir -p emdebroot
( cd emdebroot && tar xvzf /mnt/sda1/emdebianrootstrap.tgz )
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive DEBCONF_NONINTERACTIVE_SEEN=true (or just answer questions about timezone)
chroot emdebroot dpkg -a --configure
( cd emdebroot && tar -cvzf ../emdebianroot.tgz * )

#To install new, configured rootfs (or one from a previous session):
cd /mnt
rm -R /mnt/root/*
cd /mnt/root
tar xvzf /mnt/sda1/emdebianroot.tgz
umount /mnt/root

reboot

Principal hats: iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/