Re: [Yaffs] How to mount a yaffs2 partition on linux ubuntu …

Author: Ross Younger
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] How to mount a yaffs2 partition on linux ubuntu 11.04
On 05/11/11 02:04, Luca wrote:
> I think that the way to handle the obb is right because i checked very well that
> my partiton is yaffs2 andvha 64kb of oob data for page and i use the same
> parameter when i create the nand simulator on linux ubuntu with the command
> nandsim.

There's more to it than that. It is critical to get the OOB layout
correct. YAFFS writes its tags to a fixed location in the logical OOB
area, but the NAND driver can (and often does) apply another mapping
between that and the physical OOB area. Without that mapping, YAFFS
won't find its tags.

In other words, if you don't use the exact same OOB mapping as the
target device driver does, YAFFS won't find any data on the partition
and you will see nothing but lost+found. (There are probably other ways
this can come about, but this is the difference that keeps coming up
time after time.) This is not really a YAFFS problem; YAFFS can only
operate within the framework given by the device drivers you have
configured it to use.

If I were you I'd go digging into the source code of the android device
I was using and find out what driver it used and what the OOB mapping
was. There might be a way to quickly configure nandsim to suit, or it
might be necessary to write some code to create a local nandsim that
used the correct mapping.

Ross