Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS entered for Google Summer Of Code

Author: Ian McDonnell
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] YAFFS entered for Google Summer Of Code
On Monday 10 March 2008 09:41, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> What about the 'mkyaffs2image' and perhaps also some tool
> like 'image2mkyaffs2' for the other direction utility rewrite?

If/when this is rewritten -- lets please separate all Yaffs stuff
from the NAND i/o. In other words, have it operate on Yaffs
images stored in local files (or out to a pipe) not real NAND.
Then we need good NAND i/o utilities to write the image and
possibly merge/create other meta data like (MTD) ECC etc.

Perhaps google can sponsor some better MTD utilities too!

This lack of separation of format from i/o methods is the reason
why there are so many versions of "fdisk", "sfdisk", "parted"
etc on linux-based systems. They all suck because none of then
are designed the Unix way: "Do one thing and do it well." An
adage that's fading too fast in a world of newbie programmers.

-imcd (a middle-aged (unix) programmer)